Sunday, May 3, 2009

"In our end is our beginning"


Montana has a new owner. You might remember my experiences of trying to sell him and having various misadventures, of moving John to a new boarding situation and deciding on the spur of the moment to leave Montana behind.

For the past 2 weeks I have been in an emotional stew wondering what should happen: should I sign over ownership to the former barn's trainer and let him become a school horse? I've never thought school horses have the most enviable life. Some of them have personalities that suit the work, more or less; I never could believe Montana has that personality. Should I just move him as my husband said "Get him out of there!!"? Should I temporize, pay another month's board and buy some time to think?

A solution has appeared out of heaven and it seems to be perfect. On Friday Montana was duly purchased, and he became the longed-for new partner of a lovely young woman who grew up with horses but has been horseless for 10 years since her mare was tragically hit by a car in a freak accident. She has been working at my former boarding barn as an assistant riding instructor and 'paying off' rides on the barn's young (rank) horses with chores etc. Kind of an equine Cinderella situation. Montana will be her handsome prince. She loves dressage and jumping, so does he. She wants to show; he's great at shows. She has time and love to give, he has an infinite capacity to be loved and snuggled.

This solution would have appeared to both of us sooner if it were not for some disinformation which...I won't go into, but all of you who know barn bitchery can fill in this blank.

The next day there appeared on her Facebook page an entire photo album named "Montana Love". She feeds him peanut butter granola bars so he will be in high cotton. From his royal wardrobe of excess tack and etc. I was able to supply her with all she needs to start pampering His Highness in his accustomed style - everything has to match, everything has to be expensive, everything possible must be burgundy.



Today I will go out to ride John with a guiltfree heart for the first time since I insanely purchased him (when my husband was taking a few riding lessons and I jumped on the rationalization). Endings and beginnings. All those times, "...In which we have said the rose of our love and the clean Horse of our courage".

And by the way, how about that Kentucky Derby yesterday? Mine That Bird looked like another species of animal altogether as he flew past the earth bound pack to win by 20 lengths. And he did not look tired after! Just happy. 50-1 odds. "Bets I Wish I Had Placed" department.

17 comments:

Molly said...

I'm so happy for you, Montana, and the excited new owner. The perfect solution. (I certainly understand the bitchery.)
I love the Facebook page and the matching burgundy attire.

What impressed me about the really exciting Derby was the satisfied look on Mine That Bird's face. He wasn't upset in the least with that crowd screaming at him. He seemed to know what he had done. I kept telling my husband to look at his eyes, look at his expression. What a nice little horse.

Anonymous said...

Montana and his new owner both look very happy - how wonderful that it worked out for you and him!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I'm glad the perfect solution presented itself. Now you can relax and stop worrying. That really was an amazing race. Most people aren't talking about it, because the Eight Belles incident understandably completely turned them off to horse racing. I don't think it should stop us from admiring awesome horses in the horse racing industry, though.

Zoe said...

I am so pleased to hear of Montanna's good fortune in finding a new human to take care of every need. You have no idea how stressful finding a new human is for us horses....

lytha said...

So happy for Montana! Now let's hear the bitchy barn gossip!!

~lytha

3pennyjane said...

Aw, hurrah! To quote Spider Robinson, shared pain is halved; shared joy is doubled. Congratulations on finding a general happily-ever-after here.

ChicagoGrrrl said...

that is wonderful happy news. i am really happy he will be taken care of. You are a really wonderful horsewoman who didnt just unload the horse and turn a blind eye to what might happen to him.

Grey Horse Matters said...

Congratulations on finding a good and loving home for Montana. I'm sure he and his new owner will be very happy together for a long time. Barn bitchery, is there really such a thing! Ha, just kidding.
Love that horse yesterday, I was just so happy he won. Wish I had the bet too, but I didn't. My sister had $5 on him and it made her day.

sue said...

such great news.. hard to say who is the happier... you for no longer worring about the "guilt" and knowing you have done well by Montana.... the new owner of Montana who now has the horse of her dreams... Montana who knows he is the prince once again.. or the "unknown" Derby winner.... what a great blog!!!!!!

Funder said...

Yay! I'm so glad Montana has a great new owner and you can concentrate on your sweet John. :)

Flying Lily said...

Molly: thanks! Yes, Mine That Bird just looked pleased and calm. He has a reserve tank of energy for sure.

Kate: Indeed! happiness all around.

NM: I too have friends who will now not even watch a race, since 8 Belles. And I agree, the horses are still gorgeous.

C2b: I can hardly imagine the adjustment, for an animal whose sense of smell is so keen, and whose emotions are so nuanced and different. I hope treats help.

Lytha: Well basically, the barn owner's daughter did not want this sale to happen. So 'disinformation' was planted all around: that I would not budge on my asking price, that I disliked the new owner and would not let her touch my horse, that I really wanted to keep him, that I would take him back from a potential sale, and finally (the piece of resistance) that I am "bipolar" and could not be trusted to honor a sale contract but would "come in the night and take him away". And this was all because she wanted to keep him in the yard and use him for a lesson horse and show him. Ta da! As The Barn Turns...

3PennyJane: You always have the best darn quotes!!

Amy: Thanks, I do feel good about this one...

GreyHorse: How did your sister choose this horse to bet on?? And would she become my financial advisor please? :)

Sue: It's true - a lot of reasons to celebrate in surprise after this weekend!

Funder: Indeed; it was so nice to just hang out with John yesterday and give him my undivided attention. Completely different!

cdncowgirl said...

Congrats on your sale! Selling a horse can be so emotional... yikes. But it sounds like his new owner will be a good one :)

I watched the Derby and picked my horses the way I always do, by the snippets of info during the post parade. (yeah I know, great method! lol)
When I heard that Mine That Bird was a $9500 yearling I picked him to root for. After all that's dirt cheap for a Derby prospect, he was basically an underdog!

photogchic said...

What a perfect solution...they both look completely happy.

I bet on Hold me Back and Dunkirk...nowhere to be seen at the wire. Glorious when the underdog wins...just like Seabiscuit to stalk the pack and decide at the end he wants to be out front. Hope he is Ok...hear he is sore after the finish.

Grey Horse Matters said...

Just got back to reading your comments. My sister would be the last one you want as a financial adviser, she picked the horse because it had bird in his name and she has a cockatoo! Keep us posted on how Montana is doing.

allhorsestuff said...

Oh! I love this story for the all four of you! Five, counting your husband!
I know too well of "barn Bitchery"...my horse took some time to recover from it's grasp of the main BB!!
KacyK

Jill Wiswall said...

I'm so pleased for you and Montana! and his new owner. Sounds like an awesome opportunity. Congrats!

ezra_pandora said...

That is every owners dream when giving up a horse, to find their perfect match. Sounds great. And for you, peace of mind :)