Thursday, June 25, 2009

What goes on in the minds of dogs?

Dogs amaze me with their constant happiness; life is one big festival for a dog. They eat pretty much the same thing every day, but every meal is a party! "Kibble again!!" Their daily walk is a source of so much jubilation they can barely contain themselves. My younger dog Rufus actually squeaks with excitement for the first few blocks; his joy cannot be contained.

When I leave the house to water the flowers or something, here is what I see upon my return:



Two earnest little faces awaiting me, and then the dancing doth commence! She's back! it doesn't matter how many times a day this happens; it's always cause for celebration.

Why can't we humans be more like dogs??! If we would jump up and greet our loved ones with ecstatic dancing every time they came in the house, or if we would celebrate each meal with outbursts of uncontrollable happiness, or take our walks in a cloud of happy squeaking, we'd be better off I think.

Where is the bottomless well from which dogs draw their love and joy? We need some of that miracle.

10 comments:

. said...

Your post is funny beyond words because it is so true! And, it is profoundly beautiful as well... we need to embrace joy the way animals do.

restoration42 said...

Look at those two sweet faces! I always think of my two as my own personal angels, here to teach me joy.

Stephanie - Siouxzeegirl Designs said...

ohhh, so very, very true!! I too face this phenomenon every time I leave the house. Only my 2 are a bit bigger. It never fails to make me smile :) Such wonderful unconditional love!

Flying Lily said...

Avie: "Embrace joy" is exactly right and so well said. It is out there for the taking...

OneRedHorse: 2 angels is a wonderful way to think about them!! And they are such great teachers aren't they.

Stephanie: How do they do it?? "Unconditional love" even when we aren't worthy. They place us on a pedestal and there we remain.

Unknown said...

Clearly they are drinking WAAAAY too much dr pepper.

:)

Seriously though, I wish I could be half the good natured forgiving soul my dogs are.

Give 'em a squish from their Auntie Winter. :)

Unknown said...

Clearly they are drinking WAAAAY too much dr pepper.

:)

Seriously though, I wish I could be half the good natured forgiving soul my dogs are.

Give 'em a squish from their Auntie Winter. :)

Funder said...

This is exactly why I have a dog - to remind me to enjoy life as much as she does!

Flying Lily said...

Breathe: Maybe I should hide the Dr. Pepper!? That was hilarious...

Funder: Agree, that is an excellent reason. Even though they both found something dead to roll in on their walk this morning and currently stink to high heaven, which only overjoys them all the more.

Molly said...

Thinking I need a dog...
The cat appears out of thin air, complaining and asking where the hell I've been.

Once Upon an Equine said...

Flying Lily, please drop by my blog to retrieve you Honest Scrap award: http://onceuponanequine.blogspot.com/2009/06/honest-scrap-award.html