Sunday, October 19, 2008
How I Spent my Lovely Saturday
This highly trained circus dog has been introduced into the picture to show the massive scale of a leaf mountain I raked up yesterday. Bear in mind that this is only one in a veritable Appenine chain of such mountains that were all around my yard by noon.
Here's a record of my mental states during annual leaf-raking:
1. Isn't this fun? Out in the fresh air, enjoying the work, I love fall yard chores! (first 20 minutes)
2. This is hard work and there are a lot of these leaves. But it's still great exercise. I coudl be out riding a horse though... (about 40 minutes in)
3. Those noisy leaf-blower things might not be such a bad idea after all; wonder if they produce greenhouse gases? (60 minutes on the dot)
4. Why doesn't someone invent a giant machine to hover over your yard, suck up leaves and send them into outer space? (hour and a half, partway into the leaf-mountain transport operation)
5. I swear I would like to cut down all these #@% $#@* trees. (remainder of the afternoon)
It was such a perfect leaf day that I could hear all around the neighborhood, the swish of lawn rakes, the sighs of the oppressed.