Thursday, January 7, 2010

Winter Work



My wonderful barn owners created an outdoor 'track' for us to ride on!

This was serious tractor work, since the most recent snow (2 feet of it in 48 hours) was followed by a warm 2 days during which the top layer turned to a heavy mantle of ice.

Our whole area is still struggling with this ice legacy, and traffic accidents are still happening a week later even though there has been no additional snowfall.

Anyway they took out their tractor and plowed an oval shaped track in their field, following up with some shavings and chipped stall stuff for traction. John and I enjoyed this yesterday when it was a balmy 18 degrees F., full sun, and no wind WhatSoEver, for almost perfect winter riding conditions.



My only drawback was that I forgot sunglasses, so I was snowblind by the end of our ride. We followed up in the indoor arena and it was to my eyes as dark as night in there...



In this above photo, you can see the arc of the track up and off to the right, and also how deep the snow is. John kept thinking that he'd prefer to take off into the virgin snow. So I let him and he immediately hauled his big horse's ass around back to the track. Breaking through the crust made a sound like....a sack of sand dropping from a great height.

I avoided getting him sweaty but that was pretty easy as he is in tip-top CV condition. I swear he exercises himself in the pasture, because this is not a function of our tight work schedule LOL. Christmas break has been a riding disappointment because of the weather and family commitments.

At one point while we were gaiting along on the new outside track, John just tucked his head like a dragon and squealed. It was the weirdest thing! I got such a vibe of "I feel great!" from him. He shook out his mane and just chugged along.

After this ride I buried my face in his bunny fur neck and just smelled him: warm palomino in the winter sun. Everybody hug your horses because By Golly we are the luckiest humans on this earth, just to have them in our lives.

Here's a tableau of frozen ice-bucket dumps: Winter + horses = serious work.

15 comments:

JJ said...

Awww - I love this post - it made me feel so happy and even brought a bit of a tear to my eyes - I agree - horses are such a blessing. Where would we be without them?

Flying Lily said...

JennyBean; Isn't it reeeeallly hard to imagine life without horses?? Which scares me a little.

Unknown said...

Wow.. that looks cold.. and it looks like us last year. Beau saw snow for the first time last year.. it was pretty hilarious. Glad to hear you had a nice ride. I did hug the horse last night.. after he stole the cookies I brought!

Once Upon an Equine said...

What great barn owners you have. The tack looks really nice for a winter ride. Ans so pretty there despite all that blinding whiteness. I love John's fuzzy chinny-chin-chin.

Cedar View Paint Horses said...

Nice post! We're getting all of your left over snow now. I'll try to get out Saturday with the plow and do the same in our field.

Funder said...

What a pretty ride! And I agree, the smell of Warm Horse is the best smell ever.

allhorsestuff said...

Oh Lovely horse smells..they are the best!
Your BO are fabulous to give such fun to be had on a wintry furry horse!
Happy New Year!!
KK

cdncowgirl said...

Last year Kimfer plowed a track like that around the outdoor arena... if anyone felt too frisky we rode them into the unplowed snow. That straightened them out!
"Yes ma'am I will pay heed and behave! I do NOT want to plug through that deep snow, I want the easy way." lol

Zoe said...

We haven't had snow here for many years, this year is an exception. I am fed up with not being able to take my human out as it's ice everywhere. That track looks wonderful....
John you have it made, special winter tracks, beds made of hay....is there no end to your humans caring?

eventer79 said...

Swwweeett! Awesome BO! But I am oh-so-glad it doesn't snow here!

Jaime said...

Awesome post! I totally agree, hug your horse, you never know how long they're going to be with us! :)

jacksonsgrrl said...

Pretty pictures! Looks cold, but it has been in the teens here at night (OH LORD) for the past couple of nights and that simply is NOT supposed to happen in South Texas! If it's going to be this cold we may as well get some snow!
What kind of horse is John? He is amazingly BEE-YOOO-TI-FUUUL!!!
:)
~Mindy

Molly said...

So lovely. I just posted a love note to my mare, and then read this and follow-up comments. I guess we are all in love with our ponies.
BTW, John has a wonderful beard. A pretty blond one for his great blond body.

maremom said...

I love this post... I am so envious of you being able to ride your big fella... I am hoping mine will be given the green light soon. and not he is still mine to smell and hug, and read to. Yup I read to him , this has been a long year.. thanks for the pixs and glimps into what I am hoping I have to look forward to.. : )

prashant said...

Wow.. that looks cold.. and it looks like us last year.
Contextual Ad Network India