Monday, March 23, 2009

Night of the Living Deer



Last night somewhere near the beginning of Rambo II, could Sylvester Stallone be any more godlike?, a shadow appeared outside my living room window. This startled me a little and I took a look through the blinds which have to stay closed or you can't see the television which would be fatal to all life on the planet - and that's what I saw.

This little adolescent deer is (a) chubby, and (b) very much still wearing her winter coat.


As you can see she is eating the shrubbery. I tapped on the window in the time-honored manner of territorial folks who are too lazy to go outside and chase something away. The deer looked at me with indignation and began to mosey. I returned to Rambo.

Minutes later more dark shadows appeared outside my office window, and I went to take a look there.

It was like a scene out of "Night of the Living Dead": there were about five of them, full grown and staring me in the face. It was so freaky. They are not afraid! They have fleas!! They eat apple trees!! Here they are slowly leaving the yard:

They'll be back.

Rambo: Photographs?
Murdock: Just photographs. Under no circumstances are you to engage the enemy!

Every time I got up I had to disturb the poor dogs:

which is animal cruelty in their moral universe. Sometimes it is hard to balance the competing interests of sensitive life forms.

11 comments:

Once Upon an Equine said...

Ahhh, what a cute little deer. We don't get deer visiting our house (not enough trees I guess). I did watch an owl snatch a rodent and eat it on our fence post, but that wasn't a Kodak moment. Your dogs are spoiled...as they very well should be! Fun pictures, thanks.

OnTheBit said...

haha...the deer that live in my back yard are not scared of us anymore either...all 18 of them. We only live on an acre! The other day I went to hack out after a tough ride and right in the middle of the barns cross country field there were 10 deer and a buck. All of the 10 deer started to run away as we approached, but the buck just stood there with a look like "why are you on my land? Get off". I decided to cut the hack short because those antlers look like they could really hurt!

Flying Lily said...

OnceUpon: Owl eating rodent = that side of nature I avoid thinking about! You are so right about these spoiled dogs; they tactfully bump each other off laps and the bumpee looks injured beyond all reckoning.

OnTheBit: 18 of them!! And being rushed by a buck is no joke so you did the smart thing for sure. My TB finds the bounding of deer infectious. Scares the bejabbers out of me to see a bunch of them on a trail ride with him.

Jocelyn said...

NOt a fan of the deer. Alive or in the skillet. YUCK,

Your lap looks alot like my lap every night, cat, dog, whomever gets there first wins!

Flying Lily said...

Jocelyn: Then there's the game of: slowly drive the first-lap-arriver away by shoving in too close next to them until they can't take it anymore. Yes, deer are quite creepy, apart from Bambi of course...

Anonymous said...

What cute deer. The ones around here never get that close to the house, although they do come to dine on the apple trees.

Anonymous said...

What cute deer. The ones around here never get that close to the house, although they do come to dine on the apple trees.

Flying Lily said...

Ranchette: I planted a baby apple tree this past summer and if those deer get it, I am going to buy a Rambo-style hand held missile launcher and take them down. Hasta la vista, Bambi!

Serena said...

Damn dangit, i meant to watch that! That's the one where Rambo single-handedly wins Vietnam!!

photogchic said...

What a treat to see that little fawn in your backyard. So cute.

Flying Lily said...

Serena, I could watch it over and over. It's not deep but boy is it satisfying.

Photogchic: Yes they are amazingly cute, even when they are eating your flowers...