Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Spring Snowmelt



I was the first person out to the barn this morning so I cracked some ice and the horses had an interesting time walking over snowmelt and ice combined. In the photo you can't tell but that is running water under the ice.

1. Montana: "GAAA! My foot slipped. It's the end of the world. Save me Horse Gods! Oh lordy. Well that's OK then, I guess we can walk on.".

2. John: "Ho di ho ho, nice new development here in this road, I think I'd like to drink some of this water here, check me after about 5 minutes of slurping. Yup! Good Stuff."

4 comments:

3pennyjane said...

"...winter spring is winnowing the air
Of chill, and crawls
Wet-sparkling on the gutters; Everywhere
Walls wince, and there's the steal of waters."

Montana's drama-queen antics about the footing are consistent with Lear's spasmodic leaping about whenever anything new shows up near the ring gate (like deer, or birds, or the cats who he sees patrolling the barn every living day). At least they calm down eventually, which shows some sense. You know. FOR THOROUGHBREDS.

Flying Lily said...

Yes, the channel switch can be fairly rapid now that Montana is 16 (going on 3). How old is Lear? In Thoroughbred years...

3pennyjane said...

I haven't run his record, but I think it's somewhere around 8. Old enough to know better, really, but I'm not convinced that he's got quiiiite enough brain cells.

Horseypants said...

That is a really beautiful picture! Amazing how all the ice is breaking into crystal shards.