Saturday, November 1, 2008

"Do you want quiet, or do you want stories?"



My friend Sally asked me this question at the start of our trail ride this past Thursday, and my heart was flooded with happiness. You know you have found a great trail riding partner when you get offered this choice: Quiet, with the only sounds being the horses' hoof-falls on crunchy autumn leaves, the wind, birds, chattering squirrels, creek murmur. OR: Stories. Being a story hound and knowing what great ones Sally always has, I have no hesitation. But Sally knows I am a really quiet person and that she offered me the choice made me love her.

So she talked about: books, restaurants, barn gossip, horses, movies, children, college tuition, family, manners, TV, husbands, art, zoning, safety, horse training...I know I am leaving some things out. I mostly just follow the line of talk and say Amen from time to time. If there was a conversational gift handed out at some point, I was standing behind the door. So thank heaven for the gifted ones.



The fields have all turned to gold now, and the season is drawing in to its wintry ending. The little creek above was running quietly between banks littered with fallen leaves. "Margaret, are you grieving?" I love this time of year. John was in good spirits as always, and Sally took this photo of us.



And I got this nice one of her on her sweet young mare Annie:



When I'm on my deathbed I hope I can recall scenes like these from a golden afternoon with generous horses and talk like a waterfall.

8 comments:

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Nice post. I could see how some days I might want a trail ride with quiet, and other days one with conversation. A good coversation helps you take your mind off other things, while quiet allows you to concentrate on the sites and sounds. That was a thoughtful question.

Flying Lily said...

NM: Thanks for stopping by! Great to hear from you. Hope your rides are going well and all your lovely family are thriving.

Zoe said...

One of the reasons I like riding on my own so much is that good riding partners are so hard to find. So many where I am won't go on roads, won't go over stiles won't go here there and everywhere, won't do anymore than a walk, only want to do fast work....
There is one girl who as a person I don't like, as a riding partner she is fantastic....
I take so many photos and try and get ears into my shots to show my mother in law who is in her 80's and no longer rides.... Wonder who will do that for me.

Grey Horse Matters said...

Great question. Most times I just like to ride quiet. I do talk to my horses though and sometimes they even listen. It's great you have a riding partner like your friend. Great pictures and love your boy.

photogchic said...

Good things to think about...I chatter the whole time I am out on the trail with friends...never think to give my riding buds that serenity I feel when I head out by myself.

Unknown said...

I agree with you hopefully someday on my own death I hope to be able to recall rides like that - on golden fall afternoons.

PS - Thanks for the comment over at my blog just after my accident. Everyone's comments and get well wishes meant alot to me...

Flying Lily said...

c2b: Will the grandfoal take the pics for you when you are old & grey? Zoe is training her well. However I expect you to ride well into your 90's so perhaps the issue will not arise.

GreyHorse: John is puzzled when I sing to him on trail. He seems to be listening for it to make sense, or else theorizing about why humans must caterwaul upon occasion.

Photogchic: Trail chatter is unique and precious.

Steph: thanks for stopping by! Hope you are well and strong.

ezra_pandora said...

Hi there! I just found your blog from Mrs. Mom (pointing us to your wonderful bra poem-lol) and I have to say I too was behind the door on the gift of gab. I found the rare man who likes to talk more than any woman I know :) Whenever someone brings that up, I always point out that is one of the many reasons I married him, so that I don't have to talk :)

I love the pictures and scenery. They are to die for.